Thursday, May 30, 2019

My Summer Reading List...




With school out for the summer, it is time to pick up some books which have been on my reading list for a while.  With a cup of hot tea in hand, I'm looking forward to digging into these books this summer:

#1 Abide in Christ by Andrew Murray
Anything by Andrew Murray is amazing!  We picked up this gem at a library book sale a while back and I have been waiting for the perfect opportunity to begin reading it.  His books overflow with wisdom and humility.
#2 A White Bird Flying by Bess Streeter Aldrich
This is the sequel to my favorite A Lantern in Her Hand.  The original book reminds me of a mix between Little House on the Prarie and a Janette Oke novel.  I'm excited to see which direction the author takes with this sequel.
#3 A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers
This series by Francine Rivers, The Mark of the Lion, has come to me highly recommended by several friends. Her books are generally not my favorite...I like the message of the books, but they are INTENSE.  I usually prefer lighter reads, but since the books have already been loaned to me by a friend, I will give them a try.
#4 Emma by Jane Austen
I have only read one Jane Austen novel so far, Pride and Prejudice, so I'm curious to read more of her works.  She is classic!  I have heard Emma is a more comical work of Austen's.
#5 Julie by Catherine Marshall
Christy by Catherine Marshall is one of my all-time favorite books, so I am looking to forward to reading another book by her.  This book is set during the Great Depression in a town prone to flooding from what I've read about it.
#6 Love's Unending Legacy by Janette Oke
This is the 5th book in the Love Comes Softly series.  I have been slowly working my way through these books by Janette Oke. I generally read one of these books over summer break and one over Christmas break.
#7 Shadow of the Almighty by Elisabeth Elliot
Any book by Elisabeth Elliot is a true gem; her wisdom is unmatched.  This book focuses on her husband Jim Elliot's life.
#8 The Hope Chest by Rebekah Wilson
I loved the Grandmother's Hope Chest books and crafts by Rebekah Wilson when I was younger, so I am inspired to read this book which has been on our shelf for a while.  I think the whole idea of a hope chest is so sweet.  I'm thinking this book will share some good pointers as to what should constitute a hope chest.
#9 To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Another classic.  I recently heard a friend say this was her favorite book.
#10 Trusting God by Jerry Bridges
I have never read anything by Jerry Bridges, but everyone in my church speaks very highly of him.  I have been told he is one of the most humble people you will ever hear of, and I am looking forward to reading this book about the sovereignty of God.




No comments:

Post a Comment