Saturday, May 25, 2019

Did Homeschooling Prepare Me for College?


As a home-school graduate finishing my sophomore year of college, people are often surprised when they hear I was homeschooled.  I am quite frequently asked: "Did homeschooling prepare you for college?" The short answer: Yes!  I wholeheartedly believe the reason I have done well in college is attributable to my years of homeschooling.  I could elaborate for days, but these are the highlights of how homeschooling benefitted me in my first year of college.

Years of homeschooling taught me to take control of my schoolwork, manage my time effectively, and be an independent learner.  My parents were always more than happy to answer questions or provide guidance where needed, but I was encouraged to take on my education as my own.  As a result, I have never struggled with self-motivation or time management in college. Once you start college, no one is there to stand over you to check that you read your assigned chapters, completed your homework, or if you have studied for your upcoming tests. 

From being homeschooled, I was already comfortable interacting with various age groups which has been indispensable since starting college.  I was completely confident from the beginning communicating with professors, staff, and students, yet watched other public-school graduates struggle with this.

Thanks to Lessons Worth Learning Classes for homeschoolers, I had already read many college-level classic books and had strong foundations in writing.  Apologia's science textbooks are incredible and prepared me exceptionally well for my college science classes.  My Apologia chemistry textbook was more difficult than my college-level Intro to Chemistry textbook at a distinctly science-driven university.  Except for one chapter on organic chemistry in my college textbook, I was already familiar with all topics covered in my college chemistry class.  

Needless to say, I highly recommend homeschooling for effective college preparation.




No comments:

Post a Comment