Saturday, August 12, 2017

An Interview With A Real-Life Homeschooler: Elisabeth

Age: 14

Grade: 8th

What is your favorite school subject? “Probably either math or history, but I do like science, too”

What are your hobbies/interests?  “My hobbies include playing piano and composing piano pieces, ballet, and ballroom dance.  I also like listening to classical music and I might want to learn to play the violin.”

What do you love about being homeschooled?  “I can sleep in and do schoolwork anywhere in the house, whether it be on my bedroom floor or outside, as opposed to sitting at a desk all day.  I can also choose curriculum based on my likings and interests.”

What benefits do you have since you’re homeschooled?  “I am raised in a Christian worldview and have my parents as my teachers - academically and spiritually.  My siblings and I also have more time for family, unlike the average school kid who’s always booked up with homework.”

What are your thoughts on the homeschooling myth/lies such as socialization, for example?  “I can see this concern because public-schooled kids are around kids their age all day long.  But homeschooled students have multiple options for socialization such as church and church gatherings, dance, sports, etc.  Just because they aren’t around kids their age all day doesn’t mean they are not socialized.”

What would you tell someone who is thinking about homeschooling, but is not quite sure?  “Do it!  Pursue it!  It is much better than being in public school where the kids are separated from the whole family five days a week for many hours.  There, the child is not learning the Christian worldview that you could be teaching at home.  Don’t stress about it; it’s not that complicated.  Public schools are failing, but by more people homeschooling it can become something big and wonderful used for God.”

Many thanks to Elisabeth for her honest and thoughtful answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment